The Ponderosa Project at NAU is an interdisciplinary faculty effort to incorporate environmental sustainability issues into NAU courses. The Ponderosa Group offers faculty workshops and seminars that support the curricular innovation required for teaching about environmental sustainability.
- “Greening the Curriculum” to introduce and reinforce the theme of environmental sustainability throughout students’ educational experiences;
- supporting and assisting faculty in curricular innovation, and promoting interaction that enables faculty to collaborate around issues of sustainability;
- providing students with environmental “competencies” that they can take into future leadership roles, such as problem-solving techniques, interdisciplinary research methods, and collaborative skills;
- integrating environmental issues with campus stewardship to gain an understanding that the classroom extends to the entire campus—including facilities, grounds, and the built environment;
- encouraging service learning experiences that extend academic studies of environmental sustainability into the community.